31 reflections about my child who was born with this extra bonus called Down syndrome. This was written in honor of Down Syndrome Awareness Month, a thought a day:
1. I love the way his glasses droop off his modest nose bridge.
2. I love his sense of humor and silliness.
3. I love that he still loves to cuddle his mother when no one is looking.
4. I love his determination to do things independently.
5. I love his "selective" ability to articulate words perfectly when he is saying something totally inappropriate or private.
6. I love the people and opportunities he has brought into my world.
7. I love that he can read for hours on end, never getting tired of a good book.
8. I love his interest and curiosity for the world around him.
9. I love his sarcasm and fresh mouth (at times).
10. I love his ability to spit out quotes or reenact scenes from movies at the drop of a dime.
11. I love the pride and self-esteem he has developed.
12. I love the way he will turn, catch my eye, and smile at me with that sneaky little grin.
13. I love the negotiation tactics he uses to get his way.
14. I love the mess he never ceases to make when he eats.
15. I love that he thinks he is the best thing walking this earth.
16. I love his creativity in developing excuses when he doesn't want to do something.
17. I love his sensitivity and concern about others.
18. I love his big hugs that knock me down.
19. I love his trash talking and blossoming ego when it comes to his athletic ability.
20. I love the way he sticks up for people who aren't being treated right.
21. I love the way the tops of his ears turn down a bit and the way he still giggles when I flick them!
22. I love the way he reprimands me to calm down or be patient or not to worry.
23. I love the way he rolls his eyes at me when I embarrass him.
24. I love his charm and ability to engage people he meets.
25. I love his recognition of others with special needs and how he attempts to "diagnosis" the world.
26. I love his funky, almond shaped, chocolate eyes.
27. I love the way he taught me to keep things in perspective and what is really important in this life.
28. I love that he has no shame in belting out any song.
29. I love that I can look at him and still feel in awe of the fact my little three pound sick baby has turned into who he is today. Blows my mind.
30. I love how he has changed me and his father, making us both way better people.
31. I love how this extra "bonus" created "my Isaiah."