This Friday, March 21st, we celebrate World Down Syndrome Day. There are events taking place all over the world to celebrate those with Down syndrome and continue to advocate for their rights, inclusion and wellbeing.
Listed below are the events that the National Down Syndrome Society has going on for this special occasion:
- The newest edition of the NDSS E-Newsletter will be available as of March 21st. Make sure to check it out!
- Visit iTunes, Amazon, CDbaby or your favorite digital music outlet and download a copy of “A Smile for Everyone”. Chad Van Herk wrote and performed this delightful song about his nephew, Keel, who has Down syndrome. 100% of the proceeds of this song go to the National Down Syndrome Society! Music with a cause; that makes everyone smile!
- Alexis Cunningham will be performing an online concert at 8:00pm EDT benefiting the National Down Syndrome Society. Go to GivingStage.com to make a donation and receive your ticket to her show. It will be a beautiful night of music benefiting those with Down syndrome!
- There will be a National Down Syndrome Society piece posted on The Arc blog on March 21st, promoting World Down Syndrome Day and will discuss NDSS’ role as a partner with the National Center of Criminal Justice and Disability.
- NDSS staff will also be attending the 3rd World Down Syndrome Day Conference, based on the theme "Health and Wellbeing - Access and Equality for All". The event will take place at United Nations Headquarters in New York on March 21st.
- On March 30th, 2014 the inaugural Race for Respect 5k and Kids Dash (1km) will be held on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC on March 30, 2014. The Race for Respect will raise awareness about the importance of inclusion and treating those with Down syndrome with dignity and respect. To sign-up or donate to a team, please visit http://www.crowdrise.com/raceforrespect.
When posting items on social media please use the following: